Monday, May 15, 2006

Krispy Kreme Dream

Food=Happiness


It is one of my dreams as a food-mainly-dessert enthusiast to taste the infamous Krispy Kreme donuts of America. yes, those round pieces of dough fried in hot oil to achieve a soft bready plumpness, then dipped in sugar-high flavors, usually artificially-colored, to receive their crowning glory.

I've heard about it for so long now, but being so far away from the Land of Milk and Honey, I could only hope to one day sink my teeth in what I imagined to be pure bliss of a doughnut.

Fortunately, I didn't have to wait any longer when one of my best friends left for the States last month. When she asked me if I wanted anything, without a moment's hesitation, I immediately blurted out KRISPY KREME! (How pathetically sugar-dependent am I?!)

The 12 new friends of mine.


And here they are, beautifully golden with the simplest, most-popular sugar glaze. They are pliant, flexible and yet, resistant to the pull of my teeth. Wonderfully tender they become when popped in the microwave for exactly eight seconds (personal preference and upon suggestion of their box), I fell in love at first bite.

Gawsh.

Here is the box for a dozen of Krispy Kreme doughnuts that I consumed half, or maybe more than half of. (Guilty.) Beside it is a bag of Bigerlow minted lip balm that my friend brought for each of us. Behind them is the half-eaten Lemon Chiffon cake that I prepared, served with a dollop of homemade Lemon curd I also made from scratch. And hiding in the outskirts is a portion of the lasagna I baked too long, resulting in the very dark cheese blanket.

The 12 new friends of mine.



Whattabirthday, eh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy is all i can say.

Sam said...

I normally never eat them, but a colleague brought me one for breakfast this morning and I didnt say no. It was good. ummm.

Abster said...

LIZ: Yummy is correct! Haha!

SAM: No one should say NO to a Krispy Kreme--not even when he or she is trying to stick to a diet! LOL. It's addictive.

Anonymous said...

the first time i've had krispy kreme, i was hooked.

but after having them for mornings, i got tired of it eventually. uber tamis kasi e. =(

but every one in a while, i still have my cravings.

Robyn said...

Awesome gifts!

I've never had Krispy Kreme, even though it'd be really easy for me to get em. Hell, they sell them at...some gas stations. Anyhoo, if they're that addictive it's probably best that I don't eat them. I've never been much of a donut fan. :|

Abster said...

CheR, yes, it induces cravings, which makes it all the more dangerous!

Robyn, not much of a donut fan, and basing from your blog entries, you're a cupcake and cookie aficionado? :) (which I am as well too...hehe...make that all-desserts fan!)